The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) is comprised of 16 synods (regional governing bodies) organized into 173 presbyteries (district governing bodies) having over 11,000 congregations. The Presbytery of Detroit encompasses 89 churches in the Metro Detroit area.
Presbyteries in Michigan and Ohio are part of a larger regional governing body called the Synod of the Covenant.The Synod of the Covenant made up of 175,000 people in 790 congregations, organized into 11 presbyteries. The synod offices are located southwest of Toledo, Ohio.
The Presbytery of Detroit is the governing body that represents the congregations of south-eastern Detroit. We work to strengthen our congregations and to serve the needs of the communities of Detroit metro area and south-east Michigan.
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) differs from other mainline Christian churches by its government. Rather than a system of bishops, the Presbyterian Church government stresses the active, representational leadership of both ministers and church members. That's why we have so many committees!
First Presbyterian Church offers the inspirational devotional guides below to the congregation free of charge.
You can find them on the table in the Narthex.
The Upper Room magazine’s mission is to provide a model of practical Christianity, accessible in varied formats, to help people feel invited and welcomed into God’s presence to:
- listen to scripture as God’s personal message, linking their stories to God’s story;
- commune with God in prayer;
- see their daily choices and small acts of obedience as part of God’s work;
- realize our connection through Christ as a universal family of believers;
- encounter the living Christ and be transformed into Christ’s likeness.
These Days devotional magazine is published quarterly and provides readers with Bible passages, devotions written by clergy and lay leaders, prayers related to the theme of the devotion, and practical action steps for each day.
Each quarterly issue of These Days features:
- Approximately ninety devotions, one for each day of three months
- An action step for each daily entry that enables readers to apply what they've read to their lives
- Both regular and large-print editions
- Colorful seasonal art on the outside covers with poems, prayers, and songs pertinent to the issue’s theme
- Information about the writers
- Suggestions for using the devotions
- Space for creating individual prayer lists
- “These Moments,” a brief segment on contemporary issues, opening each issue
- “These Times,” the concluding section that includes questions for reflection and discussion
These Days is a wonderful devotional magazine. The themes and prayers come from the heart of Christian discipleship today, helping to connect the reader to the living words of Scripture. For college students to older adults, These Days is a daily source of insight and inspiration.It is a wonderful resource for spiritual growth and development. To nurture the daily practice of prayer and the reading of Scripture, there is solid help in the pages of These Days. The devotions wrestle faithfully with the doubts, joys, and challenges of the Christian life.”
Church members and those who have setup onling giving accounts may login here to submit a new donation, modify repeating donations and view their giving history.